Monday, December 27, 2004

Okay, just what do we teach about the controversy?

For his part in the controversy, Hugh Hewitt says,

I do believe in Intelligent Design --in Christianity, actually-- but the point of my posts yesterday was not to wade into those battles, but to underscore the Washington Post's lousy repotting on the controversy in Dover, Pennsylvania.

Hugh, there's plenty of bad reporting to go around. There are any number of intelligent, educated people who are (I believe) taken in by the (in my opinion) smoke and mirrors of Intelligent Design / Intelligent Origin Theory. For the most part, this is because of the absolutely dismal state of science education in our schools. I've complained at great length on this very topic a few times already.

Face it. Science education sucks. In the primary grades, it is almost universally in the hands of non-scientists. Indeed, it's probably taught by people who went into education because they flunked out of anything remotely resembling science.

And it shows. I've yet to encounter anyone who opposes evolution or supports Intelligent Design, who can explain what evolutionary theory actually says.

No comments: