Monday, May 03, 2010

scienceofdoom.com

scienceofdoom.com

I would like to refer CA readers to an excellent and relatively new blog scienceofdoom.com. Its policies commit it to a couple of things that are important departures from realclimate, climateprogress and similar sites, which spend much of their energy persecuting infidels, agnostics and perceived heretics on even minor creeds, the latter attracting particular venom.

According to its policies, it is committed to treating the "public" (which, in the technical blogosphere, is very often highly educated scientists and professionals from other fields) with respect, even if they ask heretical questions, rather than treating them as "part of an evil empire of disinformation". It is committed to questions like: "What is this particular theory built on? How long has theory been "established"? What lines of evidence support this theory?". These are obviously the sort of questions that are regularly addressed at Climate Audit in respect to proxies – and ones that I would have liked to be able to address in the physics if I could clone myself so that I had more time and energy.

....

Their statement of objectives very much represents my view of the world – despite the efforts of opponents to paint me otherwise. Their emphasis on politeness is very much along the lines of what I try to do here. I try to be polite personally; I ask commenters here to be polite and have spent a considerable amount of time enforcing politeness rules. SDoom note that they may "use satire now and again as it can make the day more interesting" – something that I also do. From personal experience, I'd advise SDoom that it's a voice that one has to watch as it requires a pretty deft touch to pull off successfully and won't always give the intended results. On the other hand, satire and a light touch are far more agreeable than the angriness that one sees all too often in the blogosphere.

No comments: