Monday, November 17, 2008

President Obama

Jay Tea at Wizbang is not buying in to the campaign of bitterness against Obama.

On a talk show yesterday, I heard the host say that he was about to order a bunch of "Don't Blame Me -- I Voted For McCain" bumper stickers to give out.

I have also heard people proclaiming that "Obama isn't MY president."

Apparently there's already a FaceBook group dedicated to impeaching Obama already. (With the Democrats holding both Houses of Congress AND Joe Biden waiting in the wings, that one won't go far.)

And I can't wait to see the first "1/20/2013" bumper sticker or "freedom countdown clock."

I'll pass on all that.

On January 20, 2001, George W. Bush became my president.

Pending unforeseen circumstances, he will remain my president until January 20, 2009.

At which point, pending unforeseen circumstances, Barack Obama will become my president.

And, pending unforeseen circumstances, he will remain my president until at least January 20, 2013.

Over the next four years, I anticipate criticizing him when I think he is wrong, and praising him when I think he is right.

I also anticipate doing far more of the former than the latter.

In 2010, I fully anticipate voting against whoever he endorses. Further, in 2012, I will most likely vote for whoever challenges him.

Pending unforeseen circumstances, of course.

But he will be, legally and officially, the president of the United States. As a loyal and proud citizen of the United States, I feel that nothing less is my duty.

After all, as we've been reminded so many times over the past years, "dissent is the highest form of patriotism." And nobody damned well better not question MY patriotism when I point out how many of the new president's policies are wrong-headed, foolish, ruinous, and downright dangerous.

Because I expect I'll be doing that a LOT.

Pending unforeseen circumstances, of course.

If things go downhill badly enough, I may well spring for one of the "Don't blame me" stickers.  And I'm sure someone's still selling "Dissent is patriotic" stickers.  But I won't go in for any of those countdown items.
 
No sense in reminding people too stupid to vote Republican when the election is.
 

No comments: