Saturday, January 22, 2005

Survey says...

(Still getting used to selecting tabs instead of alt-tabbing through windows.)

Norm Weatherby left a comment to this post, asking:

Please send me a link on the below poll as I am unable to find it despite exetensive googling on various word combinations.

Hmmm. Interestingly enough, I have just now Googled on the words [university cincinnati public opinion laboratory evolution], no punctuation at all, and the link pointed to by the title was the first selection. Maybe Norm's googling primed the system somehow. (I have a theory that google is constantly combing the web, and that it may use repeated requets on a variety of search terms as a signal that it needs to index more pages with those terms.)

Anyway, according to the survey,

those who have the academic training and expertise (PhDs) to teach the basic natural and physical sciences in Ohio's public and private universities regarded the concept of "intelligent design" as an unscientific notion.
Opinion Agree Disagree/not sure
ID is primarily a religious view 91% 9%
Not aware of any valid evidence or an alternate scientific theory that challenges evolution 91% 9%
ID is either "strongly" or "partly" supported by scientific evidence 7% 93%
there was no scientific evidence at all for the idea of ID 90% 7%/3%
ever used the ID concept in their research 97% 3%
Ohio high school students should be tested on their understanding of the basic principles of the theory of evolution in order to graduate 92% 8%
Students should also be tested on their knowledge of the concept of "intelligent design" in order to graduate 10% 90%
accepting the theory of evolution was "consistent with believing in God" 84% 9%/7%%

(A single number in the "No/Not sure" column means I found no separate listing for "not sure". I don't know if there was one, or not.)

Also, do you have a "contact" or "email" link on your post somewhere? I can't see it.Thanks.

I thought I did, but I don't see one on my blog. I thought I had one on my website, but I seem to have left it off. I'll add something to both locations. In the mean time, it's <karl_lembke at dslextreme dot com>.

No comments: