Friday, November 06, 2009

OH WOW

From the New York Times

Dr. Brian J. Druker, 54, an oncologist at Oregon Health and Sciences University and a Howard Hughes Medical Investigator, is one of three winners this year of the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, often called the "American Nobel Prize." Dr. Druker shared the honor with Nicholas B. Lydon, a former researcher for Novartis, and Charles L. Sawyers of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, "for the development of molecularly targeted treatments for chronic myeloid leukemia, converting a fatal cancer into a manageable chronic condition."

....

Gleevec was a completely different class of drugs than what was used against cancer. Most researchers thought it wouldn't work. Then, in 1996, before we were about to go to trials, Nick's company merged with another, and he left. Gleevec was now caught in the changeover. I lobbied with the new executives. After some ambivalence, they agreed to go forward with Phase 1 trials. I think they felt it wouldn't work and they could get rid of us afterwards.

But during clinical trials we saw this miracle: Once the patients were up to effective doses, we got a 100 percent response rate.

Q. Had that ever happened before in a clinical trial?

A. No. Never. You'd see patients where interferon wasn't working, and they'd been issued a death sentence. Suddenly, all their hopes for the future were restored, and, with minimal side effects! This was around 1999, and the Internet chat rooms were just beginning. Patients in the trials began talking to each other like they'd never done before. I'd see a patient, and I'd read about it on the Internet that night: "few side effects," "100 percent response." Patients would come to me and say, "My doctor has never heard of this drug." I'd never written it up. I hadn't presented the data. Their doctors thought I was a charlatan. For a lot of people, Gleevec was simply too good to be true. But these once-dying patients were getting out of bed, dancing, going hiking, doing yoga. The drug was amazing.

Q. Gleevec was ultimately proved effective against two cancers, right?

A. Ten. It's now F.D.A.-approved for 10. Gleevec went to market for a small disease, 50,000 patients, and it later got tested for other things. It's now used by 200,000 patients worldwide.

Q. Do you see any of that?

A. I don't see a penny, though that never was an issue for me. When I obtained the compound, it was already patented. I wasn't going to get to test it if I tried to put my mark on it. I wanted to work on it because I thought it was going to be the way to treat C.M.L.

You know, my patients were people who'd been told "to get their affairs in order" because they were going die soon. And now some of them play with grandchildren they'd thought they'd never live to see. That's worth more than money.

No comments: