Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creationism and Politics

Randy Barnett at the Volokh Conspiracy notes:
Now let me be VERY clear about this:
     
  1. If this is all that is meant by "creationism" there would be no electoral issue; but
     
  2. There is absolutely no reason why THIS position would be taught in schools at all, much less in science classs; so
     
  3. To the extent these 3 Republican governors ARE ON THE PUBLIC RECORD favoring teaching creationism or "intelligent design" in public schools as a "perspective," they are endorsing a position that goes way beyond what these writers are describing; nevertheless
     
  4. I believe in giving these politicians the benefit of the doubt on these issues--I am certainly not gunning for them, I am sincerely disappointed to hear that this may be their views, and I hope this is a mischaracterization of their views; however
     
  5. Obfuscation will not get this done--they will not receive the benefit of the doubt as presidential candidates; and
     
  6. Wishing will not make make the coalition that is the Republican Party hold together, much less get the party past 50% of the electorate; but
     
  7. I am not expressing my own preferences--if such a candidate happens to be nominated who is good on enough of the issues I care about and has executive experience and skills *I* may well be hoping he or she wins; but I am nevertheless confident that
     
  8. A Republican candidate who is an avowed adherent to creationism will not be elected President of the United States; of course
     
  9. I could be wrong about this; but
     
  10. PLEASE do NOT put this to the test by running this electoral experiment; so
     
  11. If your favorite candidate is on record favoring creationism as science to be taught in government schools, he or she has sunk already himself on the national political scene whether you like it or not. Better find another candidate.

 And this is going to be one of those topics where ignorance is no excuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed your post on herzberg's blog regarding the subject.

Karl said...

Thanks! There's lots more where that came from!

:-)