Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Smile!

Apparently, Obama was instrumental in pushing through a law, and one that I actually think is a good one.  (That's one...)
From Wizbang:
Barack Obama has exactly one achievement in his years and years of public service that I can give him full credit for -- the passage of a law in Illinois that required all police interrogations of suspects in capital crimes be videotaped.
That being said, what's the context?
Well...
...there's one area where I have to stand against the general expressed desires of the cops. And that's on the matter of people videotaping police officers performing their duties.

The latest incident to bring up this subject is in Oregon, where a man had his video camera taken away after videotaping police stop and question two men on the street.

As far as I am concerned, a police officer on duty and performing his or her duties has absolutely no right or expectation of privacy, and should behave as if they might be on film at any moment.

I can see certain exceptions, such as when the officers are changing clothes, in the bathroom, or acting undercover, but those are about it.

As I mentioned in a comment, though, I'd like to know what sort of teeth there are in that law Obama got passed.  If the police fail to videotape, then what?  "Oops, we screwed up.  Good thing we still have our written notes!"

No comments: