Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Israel and Palestine

One thing that fascinates me in the whole Palestine/Israel or Arab/Israel "problem" is how many, especially those who are avowedly and even stridently "liberal" side against Israel, and with groups that would probably kill them, and certainly kill most of thier friends, if they had their way.

Today, there's a post over at Cheat Seeking Missiles titled, "Yes, I do take Israel's side". In part, he writes:

Yesterday, I took a swipe at the language being used to describe the current flare-up in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the course of the comments, "ryan a" challenged me for saying I thought the Palestinians were in the wrong.

He's right. I do believe that.

And I think I'm justified.

No, I don't think that it's black and white, that the Palestinians are wholly in the wrong and the Israelis complete innocents. But I think that the scales are seriously tipped that way.

....

So yes, I blame them. I hold them accountable for their actions, as I would any other group of people.

They are, despite what their apologists would have you believe, fundamentally human. And they are evincing purely human traits at their worst. And that has been their choice.

So yeah, ryan a, the Israeli-Palestinian situation is not black and white. It's gray, with neither side being purely right or wrong.

But it's a damned dark shade of gray on the Palestinian side, and a pretty light shade on the Israeli side. And I not only do not apologize for believing and pointing that out, i am proud of it.

No comments: