Monday, June 20, 2005

Pseudoscience will hurt

(Hat tip: "Jason Spaceman" on Talk.Origins)

(Catching up)

Creationism, along with a newer theory of creation, intelligent design, is in the news again.
...<snip>...
Although I believe that God is the source of creation, I am nevertheless concerned about mandating the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in the public schools; they are religious concepts that are most appropriately taught in houses of worship, not in science classrooms.

I am also concerned that if public schools start teaching these theories as science, then graduates entering the global workplace will be further behind their counterparts in India, China and elsewhere. These workers are better educated in science and math than our own, and they will work for a lot less than American workers, an argument that Tom Friedman persuasively makes in his new book, "The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century."
...<snip>...
How God created the universe, I told the man at the coffeehouse, was a mystery to me, just as it was surely a mystery to the writers of the Genesis creation stories. Their accounts, I said, are poetry, not science; truth, but not fact.

I believe that God created (and goes on creating) in a slow, steady way, which does not threaten my faith in the Creator. In fact, it only adds to my sense of wonder at the love and power of God.

The Rev. Kenneth L. Chumbley is rector of Christ Episcopal Church in Springfield.

No comments: