Monday, September 27, 2004

About those unwashed masses...

An article I read a couple of years ago made the point that police officers surveyed tend to think they shoot and drive considerably better than they actually do. It would appear journalists think more of their own skill levels than may be justified by objective measurements of their performance.

However, just to balance things out, it appears journalists think a lot less of the same skill set in non-journalists than objective tests might justify.

RATHERGATE UPDATE: This excellent column notes that news media people know less than they think -- but that more importantly, they sharply underestimate what ordinary people know...

People accumulate knowledge.

I've accumulated a lot of knowledge on my way to a BS degree in physics.

I've accumulated a lot of knowledge in the pursuit of various hobbies.

I've accumulated a lot of knowledge by just being curious about things, and checking out books from the library.

So have a lot of other people.

I've made the point to my "adopted nephews" that no matter how big and strong they get, there's always someone out there who can beat them up. (So don't start fights just to show off.)

Likewise, no matter how much you know, there's always someone out there who knows more than you do.

And that's even more true if you don't know as much as you think you do.

No comments: