Thursday, January 15, 2009

Joe, you're not supposed to ask those questions!

Gateway Pundit links to a video of Joe Scarborough interviewing the managing editryx of the Financial Times, on what constitutes "torture".  He doesn't seem to believe the politically correct answers. 
KRYSTIA FREELAND: I think Guantanamo will be shut down by the Obama administration and on aggressive interrogation, I think that's a really dangerous term, it has sort of an Orwellian flavor to it. I think that there is a clear line between torture and interrogation.
SCARBOROUGH: What is it?
FREELAND: What's the line?
SCARBOROUGH: Yeah, what's the line?
FREELAND: For me, in my judgment, waterboarding has always been torture.
SCARBOROUGH: Oh, has it really?
FREELAND: And some of what they describe as the "stress postures," I would call those torture too, and I think certain levels of sleep deprivation are torture as well.
SCARBOROUGH: Sleep deprivation is torture?
FREELAND: Depending on how far you go.
SCARBOROUGH: So tell me, what should we do? Should we just bring them a birthday cake and ask them what soccer match they'd like to see?
FREELAND: No; I think that's unfair Joe. I think there are ways --
SCARBOROUGH: It's not unfair: it's unrealistic.
FREELAND: No it's not.
SCARBOROUGH: Sleep deprivation is torture?
FREELAND: Depending on how long it goes on.
SCARBOROUGH: I can't even engage in this conversation. This is so sophomoric I can't even engage in this conversation.
FREELAND: No it's not; it's not sophomoric.
No, it's not a sophomoric question.  It's a sophomoric answer, and they don't like that fact being illustrated as plainly as it is in that interview.  A stupid belief doesn't become any less stupid just because you ban all mention of how stupid it is.

No comments: