Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I AM: Blasphemous?

Ian Millar considers AOL's new "I AM" ad campaign a blasphemous use of the name of God.

America Online is now acting like God – using what some consider to be His very name in a marketing pitch for e-mail, voice chat, video chat, instant messaging, text messaging and other forms of communication.
<...snip...>
He points out to AOL executives that "I AM" is the English translation of YaHWeH, the self-proclaimed name of God.

Well, I AM astonished. I AM appalled. I AM disgusted.

I AM recalling an incident a few years ago.

Nike came out with a line of "Air" shoes, where the calligraphy on the word "Air" had gotten very ornate. To some, the cursive script looked a lot like the Arabic spelling of "Allah". Muslims were up in arms over this blasphemy, and Nike wound up withdrawing the line.

I AM certain Mr. Millar agrees wholeheartedly with the Muslims' point, and has nothing but respect for Nike's decision to pull the line of shoes.

But, I AM not holding my breath.

No comments: