Friday, August 28, 2015

The 2015 Hugo Awards: Some Thoughts - BLACKFIVE

The 2015 Hugo Awards: Some Thoughts - BLACKFIVE


There a few things in this world that truly make me mad. I'm not talking the things in life that can make us spark. There are lots of things in this world that can make me spark, and there is a reason that my nickname in early high school was "Spark Plug" and "Sparky." Those who truly knew me, however, knew that the problem was not when I sparked, which was soon over, but when I got very quiet and coldly precise.

This morning, I awoke to very unsurprising news about the Hugo awards. I am disappointed, but honestly expected nothing less from the Social Justice Bullies and related ilk. Indeed, I'm more surprised that one or two categories more didn't get no award -- the equivalent of destroying the village to save it. That was their plan almost from the start, since those labeled "Wrong Fan" dared to get more fans involved in a dying award that represented the thoughts of less than 600 "Right Fans" who bought supporting or full memberships to the World Science Fiction Conventions -- which is where and how the Hugo awards are decided. For those truly interested, note the attendance figures for the WorldCon over the last 30 years, note the numbers of people who actually voted in the Hugo process, and then note the size of conventions like DragonCon, the various ComicCons, and such.

....

Where I'm not sparking is with how things were handled. First, there was the biased and childish panel that preceded the Hugos. Second, was the awards ceremony itself. That one or more Hugo nominees walked out early (along with other professionals) says it all. The deliberate and willful disrespect, and bias, shown says it all for me.

So, for me, it's on. For those of you ignorant enough to buy into the Social Justice Bullies lie that the Puppies were all angry white men, I simply point out that the Puppies were far more diverse than those that opposed them. For a group of "neo-nazis" as an employee of Tor books called them (us, honestly), there sure are a lot of mutts in the group, and a lot females too. In fact, one author attacked in this manner actually fought real neo-nazis and injustice, and has the wounds to show it. Another author also schooled the idiots with the real deal. I further note that only one, repeat ONE, reporter writing on the subject of the Puppies had the courage and integrity to actually interview the wonderful Sarah A. Hoyt, who is not a white male. That Larry Correia is far more a mutt than I am, and hardly a lily-white male (unlike most of those attacking him). That strawman Larry is not just a jerk, but an asshole and I want at least ten of the ribbons saying he is a jerk. I could go on, but it is easy to pick apart the slanders, libels, and lies heaped upon them, Brad Torgersen, and others -- for those with interest in the truth that is.

The blatant disrespect and insult offered to Toni last night is the final straw. You attacked a friend.

So, I'm in on Sad Puppies 4. If you want to destroy WorldCon and the Hugo awards, you will have your chance and you will own the results. My hope, faint though it is, remains to make the awards truly relevant again as a means of promoting good writing, editing, and other efforts regardless of the message.

Meantime, my limited funds will be my vote and those funds will not be spent at Tor (or Forge), or probably with MacMillan as a whole. Tom Doherty: I doubt you remember me, but we have met and I found you to be a likable person who seemed to have integrity and honor. I am sorry to do this, but your employees have engaged in what I believe to be slander, libel, and more -- and, yes, I use those terms advisedly and with full knowledge of the difference between them. That they have also sought to harm some of your own writers... WorldCon, your bias is showing. For my author friends with Tor or MacMillan, sorry, but I will not support them as much as I want to support you.

I plan to spend with publishers who put out good books/stories first, and message second. I plan to buy from Baen; I plan to buy from other publishers and those who also publish independently, such as Sarah A. Hoyt, Kate Paulk, Cedar Sanderson, Amanda S. Green, Dave Freer, Jim Butcher, Tom Kratman, John Ringo, John C. Wright, and Michael Z. Williamson. With traditional publishing tanking, voting with my money has a far larger effect.

Now, I've wasted enough time on an award that most likely can't be saved. This is time that could have seen a couple thousand words written on the new novel I'm frantically trying to write, revise, and submit. It likely would be a far better use of my time, but I will not let stand the attacks on Toni, Sarah, and other friends. Choose as you will, my money vote is cast.

No comments: