Friday, April 06, 2012

a liberal gets embarrassed when same-sex liberalism becomes personal

Link: http://www.mercatornet.com/conjugality/view/10550 (via shareaholic.com)

Because she is liberal, I was surprised to hear my friend divulge that she was embarrassed about her daughter's same-sex relationship.  I suggested that it could be a passing phase.  After all, our state pushes homosexual behavior.  No doubt the liberal arts college her daughter attended taught the kids all about liberal love.  Plus, her daughter was hanging out with friends in same-sex relationships.  Far from being genetic, sexual orientation was fluid, especially for girls.  Perhaps she was simply looking for intimacy? 
Before I hung up, I assured her of my love for both her and her daughter.  But afterwards, I felt puzzled.
If a right wing evangelical conservative learned that her son joined the Air Force, she would no doubt be proud, not humiliated.  If her daughter were "saving herself" for marriage, would she be ashamed?  So, if my friend's daughter embraced the very lifestyle that for years they promoted with votes, why the embarrassment?  Why this disconnect between abstract and reality, between politics and home? 
Where did their gay pride go?

No comments: