Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, offers the EMPOWER PATIENTS FIRST ACT: ANOTHER SERIOUS CONSERVATIVE HEALTH PLAN Price's "Empower Patients First Act," would:
For months President Obama has suggested that on health reform the choice is between the Democrats plans before Congress or the status quo. Congressional conservatives, like Rep. Price, have offered serious legislative proposals that include practical health care solutions. It's time for official Washington to stop demonizing its critics and ordinary citizens who are opposed to its health care agenda. It's time for the President and the Congressional leadership to get serious and to listen.
- Fix the unfairness in the tax treatment of health insurance by extending a tax credit or deduction to those without employer-sponsored insurance;
- Use automatic enrollment, with a right to "opt out" of health insurance coverage, and promote defined-contributions for employer plans, instead of using government coercion and mandates, to expand coverage;
- Establish health plan portals in the states so that patients can own and control their own health insurance;
- Offer low-income Americans the option of a voucher to purchase private coverage; and
- Give states incentives to experiment with how best to cover high cost individuals.