Monday, May 26, 2008

I've been surveyed.

I got surveyed yesterday morning.

The pollster asked me my opinion about the California Supreme Court decision and about the Constitutional amendment to be voted on this November. I didn't liveblog the survey (wish I had), but I think the questions asking my opinion of arguments in support of same-sex marriage may have outnumbered the questions regarding arguments opposing it by about 2:1.

Some of that may be perception bias. Some of it may not. Some of it is the poll's conflation of "the right of gays to marry" and "the right of people to marry someone of the same sex". The poll takes no account of the fact that gays have the right to marry under the same terms and conditions that a straight can.

The reason I think the skew in the polling questions is due to more than perception bias on my part is one question that was asked three times during the course of the poll: "During the course of a survey, it's not uncommon for a person to change his mind. If you were to vote now, would you vote to support or oppose the amendment to the State Constitution?" (I'd love to know if people who expressed support for same-sex marriage were asked that question as many times.)

This question was asked after a series of questions about how convincing I found various arguments in support of same-sex marriage. To me, it felt a lot like the poll was designed to argue the case for same-sex marriage, and ask "Are you convinced yet?"

If this poll is being reported to any news media, don't be surprised to see opposition to same-sex marriage declining.

No comments: