Saturday, January 05, 2008

"911 Truth" and 911 Doubts

The Flat Earth Society 911 "Truth" movement continues to push its case. R.J. Rummel has grave doubts about their case. When chastized about his refusal to view the 911 "Truth" movement's doubtlessly excellently-made videotape, he responds:

That 9/11 was an inside job is beyond ridiculous. I must use words I seldom apply to assertions with which I disagree, like stupid, high level ignorance, or a psychotic disposition to accept what is impossible because of a deep seated bias. And no, I don't read or view that conspiracy material, any more than I read stuff about the earth being flat, that Johnson had Kennedy assassinated, or that a secret organization runs the world, or any other crazy beliefs or conspiracy theories.

And no, I don't need to give my arguments. To ask for them is also preposterous. And, of course, I am closed minded about this. And so I am also about the fact that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in1941, and that it was not a " monumental fraud perpetrated against the United States and the world on that day."

There are always anomalies in any explanation of human behavior, as there are always faces that can be found in clouds, if looked at long and hard enough.

I also refer people to Isaac Asimov's essay, "My Built-in Doubter", where he discusses what he doubts and why he doubts it. It's a variation on the theme that "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof".

No comments: