Thursday, February 03, 2005

SOTU

I won't comment on the State of the Union address right now. Many who are far better equipped than I have done so. I was able to listen to some of it, but I was out in the field, collecting water samples in Bel Air, and I kept having to turn down the volume to deal with the cell phone.

One question I have, though...

There is no requirement that the President make a State of the Union speech to Congress, in February, or at all. The constitution states that the President is to give a report to Congress "from time to time" describing the general state of the union.

An e-mail from the White House to the Speaker and the Senate Majority Leader would probably suffice. If there's any doubt, he could cc the rest of Congress.

If the opposing party wants to go on camera and read a "response" to the SOTU, they'll look like the ones hogging the spotlight.

Maybe the tradition of the annual address is one that should go by the wayside.

No comments: